The PEERRS Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship (RCRS) Training course introduces the key concepts and elements that foster ethical research and scholarship practices. The estimated time to complete this course is 2.5 to 3 hours. PEERRS training is required by all SURE Program students.
Environment Health and Safety (EHS) training is required by some. Please confirm with your SURE faculty mentor if you are unsure whether EHS training is required for you to participate in your SURE project.
If you have already taken any of the required trainings, you don’t need to repeat it if your training has not expired. Send your certificates in as proof. To retrieve certificates for any completed courses:
Click on the “self” icon on the top left corner
Click “training transcript”
Scroll down and under “activities” click on the link to the course(s) you’ve completed
Near the top right corner, click the down arrow next to “start”
Then click on “diploma”
All SURE students are required to complete the PEERRS RCRS Training certification through U-M’s online Program for Education and Evaluation in Responsible Research and Scholarship (PEERRS) Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship (RCRS) (approx. 2.5-3 hrs)
Environment Health and Safety (EHS) online lab training is required for some before you start doing research. Please confirm with your faculty mentor if EHS training(s) is required for your SURE project:
- Go to EHS website at http://ehs.umich.edu/education/ehs-training-login/
- Near the top of the page, select the link to “EHS Course Catalog”
- From there, register for “EHS_BLS025w – Chemical Laboratory Safety” (approx. 90 mins). *Please note this course is a direct replacement of the previously required BLS025w – General Laboratory Safety Training.
- If you will be doing any work with biological materials, you also need to take “EHS_BLS101w – Biosafety and Bloodborne Pathogens Training” (approx. 90 mins)
- If your research will take place on campus in the research lab, you will be required to take “EHS_BLS_COVIDw – COVID-19: Working Safely in U-M Research Labs” (approx. 45 mins). This training is required for all faculty, staff and students conducting research on campus in research labs.
- If your SURE Program project will involve work with human subjects, you are required to take “EHS_BLS_COVIDHRw – Human Research During COVID-19” (approx. 45 mins).
- Please confirm with your faculty mentor whether any additional EHS trainings not listed on this page are required to work on your SURE Program project and upload your certificates along with any other training you have completed for your project.
- If you need help accessing the EHS training, email SafetyTraining@umich.edu or call the ITS 4-HELP Desk at 734-764-HELP.
When training is complete, upload a PDF of your certificate(s) via Qualtrics using this link with the following naming convention: “Last Name, First Name – PEERRS”, “Last Name, First Name – EHS – BLS025w” or “Last Name, First Name – EHS_BLS101w”, etc.