SURE Criteria and Selection
Criteria for SURE (only University of Michigan College of Engineering and LSA Computer Science Students are eligible)
- U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
- Must have entered or completed their junior year (preference will be given to those who have completed three years of study) by the time of the SURE internship.
- Students who have attained a GPA of 3.0 or above are strongly recommended.
- Must participate in a full-time 10-12 week summer research experience from May 3 to August 20, 2021, as prescribed by your SURE faculty advisor.
- Need to identify an area of research and faculty member who would be willing to serve as your research advisor/mentor (we understand that this process may be ongoing and not finalized when completing the SURE application).
- Must have the intent to pursue a graduate degree in engineering (SUGS, Master’s, Ph.D.).
- Must complete the SURE application by January 15, 2021.
- Individual departments may have additional application requirements; check with your SURE department contact.
Selection for SURE
- SURE Selection (University of Michigan Students)
- Engineering departmental faculty will oversee the selection of all SURE students.
- Departments will select SURE students by late February 2021.
- SURE applicants will be notified about their selection status beginning early March 2021.
- The final selection and notification process typically concludes in early April. All students will be notified of their selection status once the process has concluded.
- Selected students will participate in a 10 – 12 week full-time summer program as specified by individual departments between the months of May – August 2021.
- Students are not enrolled for credit for this program.
- Students will receive $5,000 for the summer program; departments have the discretion to increase the award amount; departments may pay the students with stipends or as temporary employees with hourly wages.
- In addition to departmental research activities, students will attend regular meetings and seminars offered by the College of Engineering throughout the summer program.
- Students will either submit an abstract or other designated assignment to showcase their summer research experience.