Summer Undergraduate Research in Engineering International Partnership at the University of Michigan is open to applicants who are rising juniors and seniors from Universidad de Monterrey who will have completed their sophomore or junior year by the start of the internship. Selected students will participate in a full-time research experience from June 1 to July 31, 2020, on the campus of the University of Michigan. Students will be committed to full-time research and provided professional development programs during this timeframe.
Criteria for SURE applicants
- Students must be enrolled at either Universidad de Monterrey.
- U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and international undergraduate students are eligible to apply.
- Must have entered or completed their junior year (preference will be given to those who have completed three years of study) by the time of the SURE internship.
- Students who have attained a GPA of 3.4 or above are strongly recommended.
- Students must have verified financial need.
- Students will participate in a 9 week full-time summer research experience from June 1 to July 31, 2020, with their SURE faculty advisor.
- Applicants will select an area of research from nearly 200 available research projects and will paired with a faculty member who would be willing to serve as research advisor/mentor.
- Must have the intent to pursue a graduate degree in engineering (Ph.D. or master’s).
- Must complete the SURE application by January 15, 2020.
- Individual departments may have additional application requirements; check with your SURE department contact for questions.
Selection for SURE
- Each engineering department will oversee the selection process.
- Departments will select SURE students by mid February 2020.
- SURE applicants will be notified about their selection status beginning in mid-February 2020.
- The final selection and notification process typically concludes in early March. All students will be notified of their selection status once the process has concluded.
- Students are not enrolled for credit for this program.
- Students with demonstrated financial need will receive a stipend for the summer program; room, board, and round trip travel to Ann Arbor, MI.
- In addition to departmental research activities, students will attend regular meetings and seminars offered by the College of Engineering throughout the summer program.
- Students will either submit an abstract or other designated assignment to showcase their summer research experience.