PEERRS training is required by all. Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) training is required by most. Please confirm with your SURE faculty mentor if you are unsure whether EHS training is required for you to participate in your SURE project. If you have already taken any of these courses, you don’t need to repeat it, just send your certificates in as proof.
All SURE students are required to complete the Foundations of Good Research Practices* certification through U-M’s online Program for Education and Evaluation in Responsible Research and Scholarship (PEERRS) (approx. 45 mins)
If you have already completed PEERRS training, you may retrieve a copy of your certificate by visiting: http://my.research.umich.edu/peerrs/.
1. Take the course: PEERRS requires that you navigate through all the pages in a course and pass the certification test.
2. Record course completion: After passing the test, use the following steps to record your course completion in My LINC.
- Click Next in the course’s Certification Results window. (For full credit, do not close this window or click Exit.)
- Click Next on the following page to record course completion. (This is a key step.)
- OK to the pop-up window to go to the Learning Activity Progress Detail page. This page must show 100% completion for each chapter in the course and a passing score on the certification test (if applicable).
- Click OK to return to the My LINC home page.
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Online Lab Training is required before you start doing research:
- Go to EHS website at http://ehs.umich.edu/education/ehs-training-login/
- Near the top of the page, select the link to “EHS 2017 Course Catalog”
- From there, register for “BLS025w – ONLINE REQUIRED General Laboratory Safety Training” (approx. 4 hours)
- If you will be doing any work with biological materials, you also need to take “BLS101w – ONLINE REQUIRED Bloodborne Pathogens Training” (approx. 45 mins)
- If you need help accessing the EHS training, email SafetyTraining@umich.edu or call the ITS 4-HELP Desk at 734-764-HELP.
- If your mentor indicates that this training is not necessary for your type of research, please send us an email at email@example.com and copy your mentor on the message.
When training is complete, upload a PDF of your certificate(s) via Qualtrics using this link with the following naming convention: “Last Name, First Name – PEERRS”, “Last Name, First Name – BLS025w” or “Last Name, First Name – BLS101w”.
2018 SURE Seminars and Activities
1) SURE Welcome Luncheon & Responsible Conduct of Research and Scholarship Orientation (RCRS)
Monday, April 30
12:00 PM-3:00 PM
Johnson Rooms, 3rd Floor, Lurie Engineering Center
2) BBQ on North Campus with Graduate Students (SURE/SROP)
Friday, June 15
4:00 PM–6:00 PM
Lurie Reflecting Pool and Grove, North Campus
3) Graduate School Overview
Thursday, July 12
12:00 PM-1:30 PM
2505 GG Brown
4) Ice Cream Social with Graduate Students (SURE/SROP)
Wednesday, July 18
Lurie Reflecting Pool, North Campus